- Consider going out to a restaurant as a pleasant experience. Everything is there for you to enjoy yourself; it’s a place where you intend to spend nice moments. Don’t do anything strange or extreme which could make you feel uncomfortable. Instead, laugh and have fun.
- Behave politely towards the restaurant staff. This way, you will get better service.
- When you arrive, take a seat and wait for the server to come to you. Don’t get up and look for the server, becoming upset and disturbing the other guests.
- When the server gets there and greets you, stop talking or finish your phone conversation and greet the server back.
- In case you wish to call the server, simply lift your hand and he/she will be there. Be patient if the restaurant is full. Most servers are in that case busy, but your turn will come.
- Don’t shout or snap your fingers to turn attention to yourself and summon the server. That s not appropriate restaurant behavior.
- Also, you can make eye contact with the server and then nod your head letting the server know you need them.
- Talk to your server with respect. There is no need to use commanding tone or make fun of anyone.
- Never tug server’s sleeve or any other part of the uniform or body.
- For starters, order a drink and if you haven’t received a menu, ask for one.
- While your drink is being prepared, look at the menu.
- When your drink is being served, enquire about the items on the menu if you are curious about something.
- In case you have food allergies, make them known at this time.
- After the server approaches you in 3-5 minutes, make your order and stress anything else you need.
- Enjoy the food and atmosphere!
- When you are finished, the server will come and clear your table, offering you dessert or another drink. You don’t have to order dessert if you don’t wish to.
- Pay the bill.
- If you are satisfied with food, service and entire atmosphere remember that you can express your gratitude with a generous tip!
Tips and comments on the subject Appropriate behavior n a restaurant